Wednesday 23 March 2011

3 is a magic number! Podcasts, Movies and more...

I walked away from class in week three, feeling a little wiser in three ways:
  1. I felt I knew a little more about the world of the podcast!
  2. Understanding that learning really is a life-long journey;
  3. And realising that on my technological journey, I may only just now be setting off with the wind in my sails...
My introduction to podcasting was brief, but informative, and I was amazed at how simple the whole thing really is! Podcasts are just another way that technology is constantly becoming more mobile, giving both the creator and the listener greater flexibility. Three things that immediately struck me about podcasts during class:
  1. They're so easy! No technical software required, no obscure or expensive hardware to invest in, and no huge time commitment to get started...
  2. The podcast (like so many other aspects of the internet) allows anyone to have their voice heard, get their message out and connect to (hundreds/thousands/millions of..?) people who they may otherwise have no connection with.
  3. The versatility of the medium is huge! From podcasts of lectures and speeches, to stories, as well as music, radio shows, movie reviews, opinion pieces... the list is limited only by the imagination.
Using GarageBand on my mac, I easily managed to create a simple podcast: even adding some sound bytes in amongst the audio I recorded of myself speaking, and uploading it onto YouTube. Watch below to find out which three movies I believe are essential for all teachers to watch, in my first ever podcast! 

The possibilities for using podcasting with primary children are huge! It really is simple, and I believe it would be a great way for children to be able to present information in a medium that allows for creativity, encourages students to think about what they are communicating, and builds public speaking. There is a lot of potential for more able people (or children in a class) to extend their work - by adding visuals, extra sounds, cleaning up the recorded sound bytes, and so much more...

Thanks to flickr for Image: 'Gathered for the IHR Headphone Roundup
http://www.flickr.com/photos/95601478@N00/193617487

No comments:

Post a Comment